The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation | UHN

History of The Princess Margaret

history_building

Princess Margaret Cancer Centre was first established as the Ontario Cancer Institute in 1952 by the Ontario government. Originally located at 500 Sherbourne Street in Toronto, the institute was officially opened on May 1, 1958 by Her Royal Highness the Princess Margaret and was re-named Princess Margaret Hospital to mark the occasion.
 

Princess Margaret

On November 13, 1995, Princess Margaret Hospital moved to its current location at 610 University Avenue, in the heart of Canada’s innovation hub and within the greatest concentration of teaching and research hospitals in the country. Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret was there once again to officially re-open the 130 bed cancer hospital on July 12, 1996.
 

In 1998, the Princess Margaret Hospital became part of the University Health Network (UHN), merging the oncology services of Toronto General and Toronto Western hospitals with those of Princess Margaret, making Princess Margaret Hospital the largest comprehensive cancer program in the country.
 

PMCF building

In 2012, Princess Margaret Hospital was renamed the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre to reflect its specific focus on cancer research and cancer care. Today, The Princess Margaret is one of the top 5 cancer research centres in the world.